Partner Visas Explained

What is a Partner Visa?

A partner visa is one that allows a de facto partner of an Australian Citizen, Permanent Resident, or eligible New Zealand Citizen to live together. The Visa is divided into multiple categories. With the de facto partner having to first obtain a temporary visa and then a permanent visa after proof of the relationship is verified.

The temporary visa (also known as a provisional visa can be divided into two sub visas depending on the location of the applicant at the time of application. If the partner is on shore at the time of application the subclass will be 820. If the partner is offshore at the time of application the subclass will be 309. After a certain period has passed since the de facto partner is united in Australia under a provisional visa, their relationship will be once again examined, and a permanent visa can be issued. The permanent visa is further divided into two parts. The Subclass 801 visa for those who hold the Subclass 820 visa, and the Subclass 100 for the subclass 309 visa holders. Partner Visa Australia has a wide range of information to assist any prospective applicant regarding the application process.

Types of Partner Visas

Applying from Overseas (Partner Visa Offshore)

Partner Visa 309 (Provisional), Partner Visa 100 (Permanent)

In order to qualify for the Partner Visa Offshore, you must be the partner or spouse of an Australian Citizen, Permanent Resident or Eligible New Zealand Citizen, and apply from outside of Australia.

Applying from Australia (Onshore)

Partner Visa 820 (Provisional), Partner Visa 801(Permanent)

In order to qualify for the Partner Visa Onshore, you must be the partner or spouse of an Australian Citizen, Permanent Resident or Eligible New Zealand Citizen, and apply from within Australia.

Provisional Partner Visa

The two types of provisional visas are the Subclass 309, and 820. In applying for this type of Visa the applicant should be in a legitimate relationship with his/her partner who is living in Australia. Both types of Visas are granted for a specified period and the candidate will need to apply for a permanent visa after the completion of the temporary one.

Permanent Partner Visa

After a few years of having the temporary partner visa, the immigration department will once again assess the nature of the relationship and if the candidate is still in a relationship with their de facto partner. The candidates who have applied using the Subclass 309 Visa will receive the Subclass 100 Visa. And those who applied using the Subclass 820 Visa will be eligible to receive the Subclass 801 Visa (provided them Australian authorities are satisfied with the legitimacy of the relationship. After the candidate has received a permanent visa under the subclass 100 or 801. (S)he may continue to live, study, and work in Australia indefinitely completely unbound to the partner and whether they decide to stay in a relationship or not. There is no fixed time for how long the application should take but it can usually take over a year.

The conditions for all the above-mentioned partner visas are as follows:

-The applicant needs to have a de facto partner residing in Australia as a citizen, Permanent Resident of Eligible New Zealand Citizen

-The sponsorship is agreed to be for a minimum of 2 years

-Both partners need to be over the age of 18 to apply

-The partners need to prove that they have been in a relationship for at least 12 months at the time of the application

-They must have proof of their relationship and the commitment

-They must be able to pass an interview where the nature of their relationship will be investigated and verified.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *